I have many things that are going around in my head, most of them are related to my family, my job, money, my home and organizing. I’m not organized by any means in fact in most cases I’m a mess but I do want to be organized. I seriously want to be that person that seems put together even when I don’t feel like I am. People tell me that I seem like I am well organized but honestly my house is a mess. The dialogue that often is inside my head is this “Uggh, this cabinet is a mess what can I do to get it organized?” or “I really want to update this in our house, how can we get started on that with little to no money?” or the latest “This room stresses me out, why can’t it ever be organized and clean?”. That last thought is often referring to my youngest sons room. It’s cluttered and has too much stuff.
My Home Project List
My home drives me crazy so instead of continuing to allow it to drive me crazy I decided that I would start a project list. This would be specific to my home and I’m sure I’ll have lists for other things in my life. Because I’m a list addict I feel peaceful and content with my life and myself when I’ve got a few lists going and when I can show that I have accomplished items off the list. I try to take time once a week to write my to do list so I thought why not start a Home Project List. Here goes.
- Create and decorate my new office/beauty room
- Dining room- after the office is done and I move my desk I’d like to get this area updated and maybe add a hutch or some kind of beverage area.
- Entry Way- I would like to move the sewing machine to my office and use it as a side table if possible so that means I need a new focal point for the entry way.
- Organize my pantry- I can’t have a larger pantry because there is no where to put it so I just need to get this organized and look better.
- Remodel/restructure our laundry room- will have to figure out to change the storage at the top of the cabinets.
- Tile in our guest bathroom- we put in a new vanity and countertop but never put in new tile so would like to redo the flooring and the bathtub/shower with tile.
- Back splash for kitchen
- French doors in dining room- I hate the sliding glass doors we currently have in our home, french doors would be ideal here with a screen door if possible.
- Close up living room window
- Paint boys rooms
- Organize our closets
- Create a cabinet or shoe rack for our garage/mud room
- Paint kitchen island- try milk paint
- Paint cabinets in kitchen
- Pellet stove in living room
- Living room- new furniture and maybe a coffee table, rug and lamps
- Front porch- would love to put a feminine touch here with flowers and just something more welcoming.
How do you create a home project list?
I don’t know for sure if there is a specific way as it’s not an exact science but this what I do. I start out by finding a comfortable place to sit alone by myself, maybe in my room with my comfy blanket and a notebook and I make a list of my wildest dreams of my house. I often ask these questions:
- Which space makes you crazy?
- What rooms do you know have potential for change?
- What areas need small cosmetic changes or just new accessories?
- What rooms would you make over if you won $10,000? What if it was $100,000?
- What do you wish your home had?
I start by just doing a brain dump and just keep spitting out stuff that I want…sort of a wish list. From there I determine if these are obtainable and if so I start to put them into small buckets and create a plan for a project list.
I have been unhappy with my home in the past but than I started really doing some thinking about how much our life would benefit if we just stayed here. First of all, our kids are getting bigger. My oldest is already in high school so before you know it he’s going to be gone and on his own. Than my youngest who is a social butter fly is most likely going to be gone most of the time as he gets older too. So why move to a bigger house just because I want more space. This house has potential if we just worked on it and it would mean we wouldn’t get more into debt to be “happy”. So instead of moving we are going to add or change this house. I’m grateful to have this home. I love this home, it was my first real house. My son and I lived in a double wide prior to living here and although it was a great starter home it wasn’t a house. I wanted a house and I worked hard to get this house. Now this house is our house and it’s my families home. I keep trying to remind myself that I may be unhappy with one particular or another about this house but I go back to that moment when I was handed the keys to my own home and how proud I was to be moving myself and my son to a nice neighbor hood and a great house for the two of us.
I realize my home project list is super long but it’s an ongoing list and most of these things will not be able to be done right away. As we work on our journey to paying down debt we can possibly work on a few things here and there. Later when we have made a big debt on our debt journey than we can make a big dent on the home project list.
What is on your dream list?
Have you created a prioritized list or just a wish list?